Wednesday, August 13, 2008

QOW # 10

Here's an odd sort of question...What Olympic event would best describe you knitting/knitting style?

I'd have to say any type of team sport like basketball, hockey, etc. Something where you are constantly competing to be in the lead. I knit, get distracted, realize I've made a mistake, tink or in worst cases frog it and start over from that point. It's a struggle to get ahead sometimes. A good example is my Jaywalker socks.......my first socks. I got the cuff down no problem finally and then started the pattern once I had 1" of cuff done. I get as far as I would like of the pattern for my socks and try to start the heel flap only to realize that I somehow have 2 stitches extra. Not a lot mind you but I should have an even number for the heel and the instep stitches - both of the extra two were on the heel side. So a frogging I went.

Does anyone reading this have any tips on cleaning wool to card it? I joined the Fiber Prep group on ravelry to see what they said but have not gotten a definite response. The wool is Suffolk from 9/03, doesn't feel greasy to me but has lots of little objects in the wool still. I don't think it needs much cleaning but I don't know if I can go straight to carding it or if I should wash it first to get it clean. Whatever I end up doing I will have to trap my cat in a different room because he keeps trying to play with the bag. lol

Well this is day 5.5 of being kidless. Hubby happens to have the week off because work was slow and he had oodles of vacation hours just sitting there waiting to be used. So we have been out to eat 3 times now and Monday we went to Home Depot after dinner at Burger King to get my spindle makings. I got a 3 foot long Oak dowel and the eye hooks. But it took us asking 3 people to finally find the rubber grommets that my Spin It book suggested. The first 2 guys told us they didn't think they carried them but to try looking here. Each time a different place. Finally the third knew what he was talking about. Yesterday we went to the movies and saw a double feature of Brendan Fraser - yum! First we saw Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D - which was super cool. Mike enjoyed it and it was neat because it was the first time he had been able to watch a movie in 3D - he's color blind but this wasn't the typical 3D movie with the red/blue glasses. They blurred it on the film somehow and the glasses brought it into focus to project off the screen. It took a while to get used to but wow! Then we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner because we were hungry and chose to go to the 5 PM movie. We saw The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Awesome movie and so glad we went and saw both. Both of which were during their matinee hours so it saved us major money that way. We have one of the super expensive movie theaters in our area - and only one of them. I miss being in Lansing and having 3 theaters to choose from. Then we came home and that was when I realized I'd screwed up the sock.

No comments: